When you hear the phrase “rustic design”, what do you think of? Deer antlers, bear rugs and metal buckets? Well the current design trends in rustic are chic and romantic and nothing like a trapper’s cabin in the woods or the old little farmhouse.
A lot of people are looking to re-purpose materials and shrink our foot prints by being eco-friendly and the new rustic design trend compliments that very well. The key is to mix natural woods and materials with sophisticated colors, soft features and modern elements. If you are looking to add a little bit of rustic to your home, but don’t want to commit to an entire room, it is easy to start with a few rustic accessories and some smaller log furniture pieces.
Here are some key features for the rustic trend:
- Enhance any of the rustic elements in your room, like supporting posts, the wooden floor or your ceiling beams. Plywood floors can be sanded and stained rustic as well. Or add new wooden floor and stain it with product that will give it a rustic look after being put on.
- Bringing the outdoors in. For example by using old refinished window frames as picture frames or metal elements as vases or candle holders. Antique glass bottles as shelf décor. Turn the old canoe into a shelf or use antique glass bottles as a vase for your dried flowers. The ideas are endless.
- Reuse (or by new) natural textiles like rattan, cotton, cotton tablecloth, linen towels or throws as table and window dressing.
- Log furniture are another item on the list to get the rustic look. Especially Western Red Cedar log furniture will enhance the room aromatically and visually as well. The log furniture does not have to be big and overloading. End- and coffee tables are a beautiful addition to the new rustic look
- Mixing contemporary pieces with rustic ones or pair the natural materials with turn-of-the-century industrial pieces. Modern pieces go also very well with refinished old pieces of any kind.
Mixing natural woods and materials creates a comfortable, worn vibe that often causes people rethink their notions of rustic décor. Once you pair a mix of textured materials with a sophisticated color palate, you are on the road to a beautifully decorated new rustic room. Pioneer Cedar Living can help you out with log furniture of any kind.